Skip to main content

CULTIVATING THE WATCHER by Anita Brown

 I now refer to them as my Tribe…

Yes, the 40 wonderful women I met last month while away at a Kripalu manifestation retreat have become my tribe.  We support one another on our "secret" Facebook page through encouragement around jobs, relationships, writing, personal growth and health. Real friendships have formed and are growing. It is a beautiful place to check in and touch base.  

One lovely gal named Ginette is dreaming of starting her own vegetable farm in her community and really turning it into a full-time way to support herself and her family.

 I had been turning over the title of my next poem "Cultivating the watcher" in my head for a few weeks, when I sat down to write and realized that Ginette's dream was inspiring me.  As I crafted words around the farming theme, this is the creative message that came through.  I hope you like it!  And please support your local farmers.

Cultivating the Watcher

Once upon a time, I misidentified and
sowed into an entity
of another name
maybe we'll call her the migrant stranger
or
the "dreamer"

the one
who labels
and partitions
she toils
in dusty clay
a sluggish and
sleepy pasture
the tares flourishing
all the while

easily damaged
by a stiff breeze
or errant plow
not known for stability or maturity
the remains imploring to be
fertilized
reconstructed

till the soil
near the iron ore
chain link!
now there's a sturdy
framework
from which to hang
your worry
anger
and cowardice

But I live and reap in the field
of both weed and wheat

truth and pestilence

all is coming
without expectation of harvest


Anita Brown is a content mother of two teenagers and wife of 20 years, both of which she is grateful for every day. She began writing poetry in the fall of 2012 after a mini-breakdown cracked open her heart and allowed this newly found gift to shine through. Many months later, she is realizing the truth in the saying that ‘breakdown equals spiritual awakening’ as she is pleasantly shocked at how much more peace she has in her spirit and how that is reflected in her life.  Anita loves yoga, dancing, traveling, cooking, walking her golden Sierra, and quiet evenings at home. She especially enjoys teaching meditation to under-served communities and listening to others as they express the same joy at the transformation occurring from such simple but regular practice.


~If you are interested in seeing your poetry appear in this blog, or submitting a poem by a woman that has inspired you, please click here for submission guidelines. I greatly look forward to hearing from you!~

Comments

  1. Chills taking in the beauty of the pics Ms. Ghosh has chosen to accompany my words..thank you!! And Thank you Ginette-- treasure yourself always <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

IMAGINE A WOMAN by Patricia Lynn Reilly

  This poem invites you to look upon yourself with loving kindness… Gazing at your own true reflection, you will discover that everything you have longed for “out there” is already within you! I invite you to love your creativity fiercely. Faithfully plant seeds, allowing under-the-ground dormant seasons, nurturing your creative garden with love and gratitude. In the fullness of time, the green growing things thrust forth from the ground. It's a faithful, trustworthy process. AND it takes time and patience.  Blessed is the fruit of your creative womb! I invite you to trust your vision of the world and express it. With wonder and delight, paint a picture, create a dance, write a book, and make up a song. To give expression to your creative impulses is as natural as your breathing. Create in your own language, imagery, and movement. Follow no script. Do not be limited by the customary way things have been expressed. Your creative intuition is original. Ga...

STILL I RISE by Maya Angelou

Six years ago, I had the privilege of listening to Maya Angelou speak live on the value of poetry at the University of Florida. I share these reflections with you again today, in honor of her birthday.  I was relieved to get one of the last seats available for this rare event, having arrived at five for Maya Angelou ’s free speech at eight. The historically long line began with people settled into beach chairs in winter coats busying themselves on tablets, or eating sandwiches for dinner. As helicopters hovered above and newscasters below, I felt the excitement of realizing that thousands of people were gathering together to hear an eighty four year old black woman recite her poetry! Maya Angelou speaking at University of Florida on Feb. 27, 2013  When the curtain rose -after an overflow of hundreds were sent away- we lucky ones on the inside greeted Maya with a standing ovation, as she smiled sweetly, beginning her talk using metaphors from nature. Maya asked...

MIRABAI'S POETRY by Caitanya Dasi

Much of the mystic love poetry from India revolves around musical and theatrical expressions that portray the loving relationship between the soul and God… One such celebrated relationship was that between princess Mirabai and her divine beloved, Krishna. Born in the sixteenth century  into a noble Rajput family, Mirabai married into a family that did not take fondly to her devotion to God. Consequently, she went from royalty to mendicant, and decorated her spiritual path with poetic songs. I first heard of the great poet, Mirabai in the early 1970’s while I was living and studying bhakti yoga at the Hare Krishna temple in Los Angeles, California.  As I had a background in the performance arts Mirabai’s life instantly spoke to me. Her fusion of spiritual sentiments with song resonated with my passion for music, drama, dance, and the devotional path to loving God. In 1968 I serendipitously met a devotee by the name of Mirabai, who taught me that the perfectio...