Skip to main content

FULL MOON SPIRIT RISING by Carolyn Riker



This first spring full moon is having a walloping dose of introspection as my shadow sides are being shaken to the core…

It’s all about timing.

I am riding a rough wave along the Milky Way into the moonlight. Feels like a surfboard hit me in the head but I keep swimming. It’s a moonbeam of truth.

Seeing some truths can feel a bit overwhelming. I feel like the small metal ball being sprung into a pinball machine. The bumpers are planets and the lights are the stars. I’m lighting up the lights and racking up the score. Sometimes, like now, it reads: tilt.

Healing, wisdom, insight and growth are cyclical like the phases of the moon. Similarly we have an opportunity to embrace whatever feelings and emotions surface alongside these phases. Staying with these feelings is something I work on. 

The moon has a harmonious partnership with the sun. There is equanimity as they dance in the sky. It is a perfect example of equilibrium in the tenacious duality of all relationships. My automatic nightlight of aha just went on.

Tonight, I graciously welcome this first full moon of spring as she pours forth her mystical, healing, spiritual and illuminating qualities.

The moon fully allows us to see into the folded parts of our self.
Therefore, I offer to her what doesn’t serve me any longer. My spiritual growth plates are shifting.

The following is my poem written during the two full moons of last August. It was my first conscious awareness of the healing propensities of her lovely ‘mooness.’What I received then is much different than now. I respect that.


Full Moon Spirit Rising

An ancient wisdom radiates
tree branches glow
there’s a lineage of messages
tree roots grounded
Lichen and moss coiled within
An interlaced, magnificent blanket of
Softness, a meadow, a chalice
Acceptance whispered…
A loving embrace of healing
Light and warmth
The moon flower opens
The moon spirit sees an
Unfolding, shedding, surrendering
The masks poignantly poised
Self-awareness and
Forgiveness increase.
A superimposed melody
Aiming for harmony
The moon’s glow permeates
The sun from within reaching oneness with the moon.
The moon crescendos with Venus
Carefully listens to Saturn
To be guided by Jupiter
Mercury translates
The stars are the limbs of a spiritual awakening
All of nature and the moon are within my soul.

Moon Goddess painting by Mollie Kellogg



Carolyn Riker M.A., LMHC is a counselor, teacher, writer and poet. Her first collection of poems, Blue Clouds was released in 2017. She’s been a regular columnist for Rebelle Society and prior to that several years at Elephant Journal. A collection of her work is available on her blog, Magic of Stardust and Words. Her poetry and prose has been featured in three books:  Journey of the Heart: An Anthology of Spiritual Poetry by Women. Where Journeys Meet: The Voice of Women's Poetry and Best of Rebelle Society, Volume I: Celebrating the Art of Being Alive. Between sips of coffee or tea and navigating life, Carolyn leads journal writing workshops, tutoring and has a private counseling practice. Additionally, she co-edited the anthology Hidden Lights and is working on her second collection of poems to be released this summer, 2018. Carolyn can be reached via her e-mail address carolynra7@hotmail.com or on facebook here.


*For submission guidelines, click here.*

Comments

  1. YOU GO GIRL !!!! BEAUTIFUL!!!! CAROLYN !!! and I LOVE the ARTWORK!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annette!! Sending lots of love and hugs your way. Isn't Catherine amazing with her artwork set up? LOVE how she pulls together the art to match the words.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

IMAGINE A WOMAN by Patricia Lynn Reilly

  This poem invites you to look upon yourself with loving kindness… Gazing at your own true reflection, you will discover that everything you have longed for “out there” is already within you! I invite you to love your creativity fiercely. Faithfully plant seeds, allowing under-the-ground dormant seasons, nurturing your creative garden with love and gratitude. In the fullness of time, the green growing things thrust forth from the ground. It's a faithful, trustworthy process. AND it takes time and patience.  Blessed is the fruit of your creative womb! I invite you to trust your vision of the world and express it. With wonder and delight, paint a picture, create a dance, write a book, and make up a song. To give expression to your creative impulses is as natural as your breathing. Create in your own language, imagery, and movement. Follow no script. Do not be limited by the customary way things have been expressed. Your creative intuition is original. Ga...

STILL I RISE by Maya Angelou

Six years ago, I had the privilege of listening to Maya Angelou speak live on the value of poetry at the University of Florida. I share these reflections with you again today, in honor of her birthday.  I was relieved to get one of the last seats available for this rare event, having arrived at five for Maya Angelou ’s free speech at eight. The historically long line began with people settled into beach chairs in winter coats busying themselves on tablets, or eating sandwiches for dinner. As helicopters hovered above and newscasters below, I felt the excitement of realizing that thousands of people were gathering together to hear an eighty four year old black woman recite her poetry! Maya Angelou speaking at University of Florida on Feb. 27, 2013  When the curtain rose -after an overflow of hundreds were sent away- we lucky ones on the inside greeted Maya with a standing ovation, as she smiled sweetly, beginning her talk using metaphors from nature. Maya asked...

MIRABAI'S POETRY by Caitanya Dasi

Much of the mystic love poetry from India revolves around musical and theatrical expressions that portray the loving relationship between the soul and God… One such celebrated relationship was that between princess Mirabai and her divine beloved, Krishna. Born in the sixteenth century  into a noble Rajput family, Mirabai married into a family that did not take fondly to her devotion to God. Consequently, she went from royalty to mendicant, and decorated her spiritual path with poetic songs. I first heard of the great poet, Mirabai in the early 1970’s while I was living and studying bhakti yoga at the Hare Krishna temple in Los Angeles, California.  As I had a background in the performance arts Mirabai’s life instantly spoke to me. Her fusion of spiritual sentiments with song resonated with my passion for music, drama, dance, and the devotional path to loving God. In 1968 I serendipitously met a devotee by the name of Mirabai, who taught me that the perfectio...