Skip to main content

THESE BONES by Rachelle Smith Stokes


There are times when I feel empty…

 My soul is dried up and I’m not sure how to water it. Or I go to unhealthy ways to begin to feel again only to numb the pain instead. This causes the suffering to worsen.

I believe we all have these moments from time to time. We all numb ourselves in various ways.

This poem is set off to the style of the well-known song “Dem Bones” (click here to listen), composed by African-American author and songwriter James Weldon Johnson.  And it catches a bit of its rhythm and lyrics as well. 

I’ve come to find this poem is about awareness. Awareness of your body and soul and how they have such an effect on each other.

There is no happy ending in this poem. At least, there is no end. It’s a beginning to moisten these dry bones.
'Inner Peace' painting by Monica Stewart

These Bones

Can’t you hear me cry, “These dry bones!”?
Can’t you hear me cry, “These dry bones!”?
Can’t you hear me cry, “These dry bones!”?
            Now here’s the word of my soul.

The foot bone’s connected to the leg bone.
The leg bone’s connected to the knee bone.
The knee bone’s connected to the thigh bone.
The thigh bone’s connected to the hip bone.
But my hip bone’s connected to my soul bone.
Because I feel it in my hips when there’s something wrong.
From my foot to my head I can feel this song.
            Now here’s the word of my sorrow.

These bones brittle and stiff knock knock together.
These bones making hollow coughing sounds.
These dry bones wheezing, splitting cracks expanding.
            Now here’s the word of my soul.

These bones exposing a lack of marrow.
These bones will take any liquid friend or foe.
These dry bones don’t want to feel this hollow hacking anymore.
            Now here’s the word of my sorrow.

These bones I wet with liquor, moist and burning.
These bones drowning in numb breathless confusion.
These dry bones sucked up the boggy burning water.
            Now here’s the word of my soul.

These bones swollen and still like lifeless drowned bodies.
These bones floating on 90 proof soft limb futility.
These dry bones washed on a river bank more fragile than before.
            Now here’s the word of my sorrow.

These bones, these bones, need to walk around.
Need to keep these bones from lying down.
These bones, these bones, need to walk around.
            Now here’s the word of my soul.

The head bone’s connected to the neck bone.
The neck bone’s connected to the shoulder bone.
The shoulder bone’s connected to the back bone.
The back bone’s connected to the hip bone.
But my hip bone’s connected to my soul bone.
Because I feel it in my soul when there’s something wrong.
From my head to my foot I can feel this song.
            Now here’s the word of my sorrow.

Can’t you hear me cry, “These dry bones!”?
Can’t you hear me cry, “These dry bones!”?
Can’t you hear me cry, “These dry bones!”?
            Now here’s the word of my soul.
Art by Mara Diop


Rachelle Smith Stokes (aka Writer Yogi) is just that: A writer of poetry, inspiration and lessons learned on her yogic journey. She lives with her husband in Dayton, Ohio but hopes to one day share her passion for writing and yoga with other states and time zones. Her goal is to inspire and be inspired through her passions and connecting with others. You can connect with her on Facebook here , twitter or her 'Ujjayi Life' website here.  





~If you are interested in seeing your poetry appear in this blog, or submitting a poem by a woman that has inspired you, please click here for submission guidelines. I greatly look forward to hearing from you!~ 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IMAGINE A WOMAN by Patricia Lynn Reilly

  This poem invites you to look upon yourself with loving kindness… Gazing at your own true reflection, you will discover that everything you have longed for “out there” is already within you! I invite you to love your creativity fiercely. Faithfully plant seeds, allowing under-the-ground dormant seasons, nurturing your creative garden with love and gratitude. In the fullness of time, the green growing things thrust forth from the ground. It's a faithful, trustworthy process. AND it takes time and patience.  Blessed is the fruit of your creative womb! I invite you to trust your vision of the world and express it. With wonder and delight, paint a picture, create a dance, write a book, and make up a song. To give expression to your creative impulses is as natural as your breathing. Create in your own language, imagery, and movement. Follow no script. Do not be limited by the customary way things have been expressed. Your creative intuition is original. Ga...

STILL I RISE by Maya Angelou

Six years ago, I had the privilege of listening to Maya Angelou speak live on the value of poetry at the University of Florida. I share these reflections with you again today, in honor of her birthday.  I was relieved to get one of the last seats available for this rare event, having arrived at five for Maya Angelou ’s free speech at eight. The historically long line began with people settled into beach chairs in winter coats busying themselves on tablets, or eating sandwiches for dinner. As helicopters hovered above and newscasters below, I felt the excitement of realizing that thousands of people were gathering together to hear an eighty four year old black woman recite her poetry! Maya Angelou speaking at University of Florida on Feb. 27, 2013  When the curtain rose -after an overflow of hundreds were sent away- we lucky ones on the inside greeted Maya with a standing ovation, as she smiled sweetly, beginning her talk using metaphors from nature. Maya asked...

MIRABAI'S POETRY by Caitanya Dasi

Much of the mystic love poetry from India revolves around musical and theatrical expressions that portray the loving relationship between the soul and God… One such celebrated relationship was that between princess Mirabai and her divine beloved, Krishna. Born in the sixteenth century  into a noble Rajput family, Mirabai married into a family that did not take fondly to her devotion to God. Consequently, she went from royalty to mendicant, and decorated her spiritual path with poetic songs. I first heard of the great poet, Mirabai in the early 1970’s while I was living and studying bhakti yoga at the Hare Krishna temple in Los Angeles, California.  As I had a background in the performance arts Mirabai’s life instantly spoke to me. Her fusion of spiritual sentiments with song resonated with my passion for music, drama, dance, and the devotional path to loving God. In 1968 I serendipitously met a devotee by the name of Mirabai, who taught me that the perfectio...