Skip to main content

I STILL DON'T LOVE YOU by Urmila Devi Dasi


I was stuck in Heathrow Airport for about nine hours after an eight-hour flight…

Then there were the nine hours of being stuck in a plane on a frozen runway before that, and other flights before that. I was tired, sweaty, and altogether wondering if I would ever make it to my destination of Vrindavana, India, or if my luggage would. I did; it didn't.

But, anyway, in the airport, waiting for my detoured flight to Thailand, I felt solace and happiness at watching the many passengers wearing varieties of religious clothing, just as I was. In that mood, I wrote this piece:

 
I Still Don’t Love You

Everything in life, Lord, you direct
Though not seeing you we quickly forget
How you’re everywhere and in everything
And all life’s situation happiness brings
To one who never fails to see your grace
The author pictured on right
Evidence even in the filth of this place
So many, Lord, try to come to you
I see them around me—Muslim, Hindu and Jew
They wear their symbols and garb as I do
Telling the world worship is your due
Their sentiments inspire, I pay them respect
And know I still don’t love you, not yet!



Photography by Peggy Abrams
Urmila Devi Dasi (Dr. Edith Best) has been practicing bhakti yoga since 1973 and travels the world teaching the science of the Bhagavad Gita and the practical application of bhakti to life. She has a PhD in education and has three decades of experience teaching primary and secondary students, which include 19 years of experience as a school administrator and leader. She has published Vaikuntha Children, a guidebook for devotional education, The Great Mantra for Mystic Meditation, dozens of articles, and Dr. Best Learn to Read, an 83 book complete literacy program with technology enabling the story books to speak in 25 languages at the touch of a special “pen”. Urmila and her husband, Pratyatosa, have three grown married children and eleven grandchildren. In 1996, Urmila and Pratyatosa entered the renounced order of life, or vanaprastha, in Sanskrit. You may connect with her through her website here, or subscribe to her on Facebook. 

~If you are interested in seeing your poetry appear in this blog, or submitting a poem by a woman that has inspired you, please click here for submission guidelines. I greatly look forward to hearing from you!~

Comments

  1. I love how the bhakti path seems to honor other paths in their recognition and reverence towards God. You captured that well here. Very humble poem. Enjoyed it. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jessica. That also moved me: the way Urmila so swiftly identified herself with those of other religious traditions, meditating on how she -along with so many other souls- are moving toward God, together. Best of all, she drew inspiration from seeing them! Very sweet. :)

      Delete
    2. i like the setting & how she provides the context of reflective 'people-watching' in the airport for this poem.
      Thank you

      Delete
    3. I've always loved people watching, Evan. Ever since I was a little girl. And I would try to imagine what they are thinking and feeling, and where they are going. Perhaps, in this case, the author is imagining how close each of these people in religious dress are getting to God.

      Delete
  2. PAMHO!AGTŚP!Exellent poetry!Inspire to grov up my Krishna Counscious in loking for other's people!Thamk You for this shearing!Hare Krishna!Y.s.Parananda Prema dasa.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

IMAGINE A WOMAN by Patricia Lynn Reilly

  This poem invites you to look upon yourself with loving kindness… Gazing at your own true reflection, you will discover that everything you have longed for “out there” is already within you! I invite you to love your creativity fiercely. Faithfully plant seeds, allowing under-the-ground dormant seasons, nurturing your creative garden with love and gratitude. In the fullness of time, the green growing things thrust forth from the ground. It's a faithful, trustworthy process. AND it takes time and patience.  Blessed is the fruit of your creative womb! I invite you to trust your vision of the world and express it. With wonder and delight, paint a picture, create a dance, write a book, and make up a song. To give expression to your creative impulses is as natural as your breathing. Create in your own language, imagery, and movement. Follow no script. Do not be limited by the customary way things have been expressed. Your creative intuition is original. Ga...

STILL I RISE by Maya Angelou

Six years ago, I had the privilege of listening to Maya Angelou speak live on the value of poetry at the University of Florida. I share these reflections with you again today, in honor of her birthday.  I was relieved to get one of the last seats available for this rare event, having arrived at five for Maya Angelou ’s free speech at eight. The historically long line began with people settled into beach chairs in winter coats busying themselves on tablets, or eating sandwiches for dinner. As helicopters hovered above and newscasters below, I felt the excitement of realizing that thousands of people were gathering together to hear an eighty four year old black woman recite her poetry! Maya Angelou speaking at University of Florida on Feb. 27, 2013  When the curtain rose -after an overflow of hundreds were sent away- we lucky ones on the inside greeted Maya with a standing ovation, as she smiled sweetly, beginning her talk using metaphors from nature. Maya asked...

MIRABAI'S POETRY by Caitanya Dasi

Much of the mystic love poetry from India revolves around musical and theatrical expressions that portray the loving relationship between the soul and God… One such celebrated relationship was that between princess Mirabai and her divine beloved, Krishna. Born in the sixteenth century  into a noble Rajput family, Mirabai married into a family that did not take fondly to her devotion to God. Consequently, she went from royalty to mendicant, and decorated her spiritual path with poetic songs. I first heard of the great poet, Mirabai in the early 1970’s while I was living and studying bhakti yoga at the Hare Krishna temple in Los Angeles, California.  As I had a background in the performance arts Mirabai’s life instantly spoke to me. Her fusion of spiritual sentiments with song resonated with my passion for music, drama, dance, and the devotional path to loving God. In 1968 I serendipitously met a devotee by the name of Mirabai, who taught me that the perfectio...