Skip to main content

WHAT USED TO BE by Edith Lazenby


The practice of writing eases and opens, giving me a way to let go and look inside…

…To see how I am feeling what I’m feeling, and maybe help me to just let it be.

I think this piece, called “What Used To Be” speaks for itself. Such is my day: thinking of what used to be, noticing the old tapes that don’t play but sit there like friends I used to enjoy, in an odd way.

My writing process is a meditation on being. The Muse guides my heart and my hands move. The connection I long for meets me halfway, and what I missed knowing lands like a blossom at my feet. And then I feel a little better and know there are many who have been here with me, in their own way.
'Take My Hand' digital art by Skatergirl

What Used To Be

Used to be I’d crawl into a hole.
Used to be, I’d wish
To die while I cried.

Used to be I’d hear
 Voices echo worthlessness
Through a worm’s belly,
Words would tease
Me into not caring.

Because what really matters
When the insides are tied
Into knots with wires
Scraping my heart
And jabbing my stomach?

My eyes hurt from trying
To find what is not here.

Used to be, I’d roll over
With sunrise and pull the covers
Up to my ears so I could not
Hear birds chirping, kids playing.

Used to be I’d lie in bed till evening
And wish night would leave as soon
As it came. Used to be meaning
Came with a story of what is not.

Now I sit with hands wrapped
Around prayer to help me unfold
What I cannot control, ease the angst
Of what I cannot know, soothe the fear
Of realizing all that matters is right here:

This breath, clouds in the sky,
Kitty by my side, kitchen full of dishes,
Home that wants love as much as I want
To give it. What used to be haunts my window.

Because when I look out I see in: the gnarled
Branches of my heart are trying to grow roots
So the life I want to live can flow.

Used to be I’d lie down and pray never to get up.

Today I sit and try to unlearn what time stole
And make that history a gift so I’ll remember
Now is not how it used to be; now I am free!

To create a life where I can pray and dream.

Now I shift meaning into this frame to hold
What I cannot find, touch what I do not feel,
Give what I do not have, save who I cannot lose.
'Life Recorded' by artistic photographer Katarina Silva


Edith Lazenby: “I love to write. I began writing poetry in elementary school. Sometimes I write poetry daily, other times not. I adore Mary Oliver, her way of embracing the light while acknowledging the darkness. I teach yoga full time and find the practice has grounded me deeper in my body and heart and helped me move closer to what I call spirit. I also now edit for Elephant Journal and write for them as well. I live with my husband, who is my best friend, and 4 kitties. Life holds challenges yet with time I feel better able to live in the moment, moment by moment. All great teachers teach presence. I find each day is a lesson in being. The process of writing holds me and I find the craft teaches me something new each time. You may visit my blog here.


~If you are interested in seeing your poetry appear in this blog, or submitting a poem by a woman that has inspired you, please click here for submission guidelines. I greatly look forward to hearing from you!~ 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IMAGINE A WOMAN by Patricia Lynn Reilly

  This poem invites you to look upon yourself with loving kindness… Gazing at your own true reflection, you will discover that everything you have longed for “out there” is already within you! I invite you to love your creativity fiercely. Faithfully plant seeds, allowing under-the-ground dormant seasons, nurturing your creative garden with love and gratitude. In the fullness of time, the green growing things thrust forth from the ground. It's a faithful, trustworthy process. AND it takes time and patience.  Blessed is the fruit of your creative womb! I invite you to trust your vision of the world and express it. With wonder and delight, paint a picture, create a dance, write a book, and make up a song. To give expression to your creative impulses is as natural as your breathing. Create in your own language, imagery, and movement. Follow no script. Do not be limited by the customary way things have been expressed. Your creative intuition is original. Ga...

STILL I RISE by Maya Angelou

Six years ago, I had the privilege of listening to Maya Angelou speak live on the value of poetry at the University of Florida. I share these reflections with you again today, in honor of her birthday.  I was relieved to get one of the last seats available for this rare event, having arrived at five for Maya Angelou ’s free speech at eight. The historically long line began with people settled into beach chairs in winter coats busying themselves on tablets, or eating sandwiches for dinner. As helicopters hovered above and newscasters below, I felt the excitement of realizing that thousands of people were gathering together to hear an eighty four year old black woman recite her poetry! Maya Angelou speaking at University of Florida on Feb. 27, 2013  When the curtain rose -after an overflow of hundreds were sent away- we lucky ones on the inside greeted Maya with a standing ovation, as she smiled sweetly, beginning her talk using metaphors from nature. Maya asked...

MIRABAI'S POETRY by Caitanya Dasi

Much of the mystic love poetry from India revolves around musical and theatrical expressions that portray the loving relationship between the soul and God… One such celebrated relationship was that between princess Mirabai and her divine beloved, Krishna. Born in the sixteenth century  into a noble Rajput family, Mirabai married into a family that did not take fondly to her devotion to God. Consequently, she went from royalty to mendicant, and decorated her spiritual path with poetic songs. I first heard of the great poet, Mirabai in the early 1970’s while I was living and studying bhakti yoga at the Hare Krishna temple in Los Angeles, California.  As I had a background in the performance arts Mirabai’s life instantly spoke to me. Her fusion of spiritual sentiments with song resonated with my passion for music, drama, dance, and the devotional path to loving God. In 1968 I serendipitously met a devotee by the name of Mirabai, who taught me that the perfectio...